Medications at School
Medication Policy and Procedures
- Medication given greater than ten (10) consecutive days requires an approval signature on the medication form from the physician, and parent/guardian.
- Any prescription or over the counter medication must be accompanied by a completed Medication Administration Request Form and turned in to the school nurse.
- Medications are considered to be any pills, liquids, inhalers, sprays, eye drops, ear drops, cough drops or topically applied creams or ointments that are expected to relieve symptoms.
- Only medications that cannot be given at home will be given at school.
- For student safety, all medication should be brought to the clinic by a parent/guardian; however, controlled substances, such as medication for ADD/ADHD and some prescription pain medications MUST be brought to the clinic and counted / signed in by the parent/guardian. Contact your campus nurse if you are not sure.
- It is required that the first dose of any medication be given at home where the parent can monitor the effects.
- Written permission from parents and physician is required for students to carry and self-administer medications. Only insulin, asthma reliever inhalers or emergency epinephrine, will be allowed as self-carry medications. All other medications must be administered by the nurse.
- Intramuscular injections (IM) will only be administered in life-threatening situations per physician emergency action plans. Intravenous (IV) medications will not be given.
- Prescription medication must be in the original labeled pharmacy container and will be administered in compliance with the prescription instructions printed on the label.
- Homeopathic medications, dietary supplements and herbal supplements will be given if all of the following requirements are met:
- All the above must be supplied by the parent and accompanied by written permission.
Traditional over the counter medications will be given if all of the following requirements are met.
- The medication must be supplied by the parent and accompanied by written permission.