Health Services » Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Does the School Nurse have over the counter medication if my child needs it? Can my child keep their own medication?


No medications are kept in the nurse’s office for general distribution.  Only medications provided by the parent for a specific student will be given to that student per physicians order and/or OTC's medication will be administered with written consent from parent/guardian.


ALL medications must be processed through the school nurse.  Only those emergency medications such as inhalers and epi-pens may be carried by the student with appropriate documentation with written consent from physician and written consent from the parent/guardian. 


Medication Authorization ENGLISH

Medication Authorization SPANISH


Can my child carry an inhaler for athletics or at school?

Students who require an inhaler to manage asthma symptoms may do so as long as there is an asthma action plan on file in the nurse’s office which indicates the  health care provider’s permission for the student to “self-carry” the inhaler.  This is true for students playing sports and for students who wish to keep their inhaler with them during the school day.  You are urged to discuss this option with the school nurse as there may be additional factors to consider for Asthma Care your child including severity of symptoms and the responsibility level of the student.
See the Asthma Care page for the link to the WISD asthma information and asthma action plan.

How can I find out about immunization exemptions?

Visit the Immunizations page for immunization information and specific instructions about immunization exemptions. 

Can my child be excused from PE?

If your child needs to be excused from PE for illness or injury reasons, the parent must request that in writing.  A parent request is good for 5 consecutive days.  To be  Further excused from PE requires a note from the physician.  

How will the school protect my child from severe allergic reaction / anaphylaxis?

Protecting your child from an allergic reaction is a team effort between parents, health care provider and the school. The school nurse is your resource for developing a plan to meet your child’s unique needs. Parents will need to provide an allergy action plan and emergency medications that your child’s health care provider has recommended. Contact your school nurse early in the school year to begin making a plan for your child.
Visit the the WISD Anaphylaxis / Food Allergy page for information including the WISD Food Allergy Management Plan and the allergy action plan.

My child has lice. Can he/she go to school?


When a child is found to have head lice at home, parents are asked to treat the child with a lice-killing shampoo or treatment before returning to school. Please report the occurrence to the school nurse.  Your school nurse can advise you on the proper steps to take and assist in the resolution.  Your child will be checked by the school nurse upon return to school to assure that no more live lice remain.


If head lice are discovered on your child at school, you will be called and asked to pick up your child from school.  You will also receive information on how to eradicate head lice on your child and in your home.  After treatment, a proof of medication for treatment of lice must be given to the school nurse so your child can return to school and child will be re-examined by the school nurse to be sure there are no live lice remaining.


Your success in avoiding re-infestation depends on following all of the necessary steps for treatment.

My Child has the chicken pox. When can he/she return to school?

Most cases of chicken pox these days are very mild in children who have been vaccinated against varicella.  It is best to consult your physician if you suspect chicken pox.  Your child must remain at home until all of the lesions (pox) are crusted over and there can be no new eruption of lesions in the last 24 hours.  He/she must also be fever free for at least 24 hours. This process generally takes about 5 days.  Your physician may require a longer period of isolation.  A doctor’s note is recommended.

How often does my child need a physical for athletics? Does WISD offer the physical at school?

WISD does not offer the physical examination at school. Students should contact their coach for more information.
Visit the UIL website for physical and history forms

Does the district offer a health insurance plan for my child?

WISD does not offer health insurance for students. Families who qualify may be eligible for CHIP / Medical Assistance. Here are some helpful links: