West ISD Health Alert News and Updates
This new site is a storehouse for all West ISD Health Alert information, news, and reminders relating to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the District's Back-to-School Reopening West ISD Plan. David Truitt, Superintendent, will utilize this site to post all pertinent West ISD-related Coronavirus news and updates. The District will also publish all updates to the West ISD Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
West ISD Coronavirus News and Updates
- Posted June 17, 2020, at 5:15 PM: The 2020-2021 school year is likely to include short-term disruptions to instruction and high-student absenteeism, with some students consistently physical absent. In recent weeks, West ISD has reviewed ways that the scholastic calendar plans for and anticipates these scenarios in order to help minimize disruption – short term disruptions in instruction are likely and need to be planned into the calendar. The goals for the calendar review included:
- Strong communication of all calendar plans between the Board of Trustees, Superintendent, West ISD staff, and all West ISD families;
- Proactive planning leading to the least disruptive calendar plan for West ISD staff and all West ISD families;
- Consideration given to grading period and semester length and timelines and the McLennan Community College dual credit calendar;
- Consideration given to the Texas Education Agency's (TEA) STAAR testing calendar and plan;
- Proactive planning to maximizing the number of instructional days leading up the Spring STAAR testing dates and the currently approved last day of school, Friday, May 21, 2021;
- Proactive planning to "bank" or accrue as many instructional minutes throughout the school year as possible; and
- Consideration given to the ability of West ISD to shift to an online learning for a majority or all West ISD students in the event of an emergency COVID-19 resurgence.
- To review the draft 2020-2021 West ISD COVID-19 Response Plan Calendar: Click here
- A group of West ISD staff members prioritized the possible calendar revisions in the following manner: Reviewed the Start Date for School, Possible Staff Professional Learning Days that Could Become Instructional Days, Adding Additional Instructional Minutes to the School Day, and Adding Additional Instruction Days after School Ends on Friday, May 21, 2021.
Coronavirus Information Links
- Texas Education Agency Coronavirus Guidance and FAQ
- Texas Education Agency Coronavirus Support
- Region 12 Service Center Coronavirus Information
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Guidance for School Administrators
- Texas Department of State Health Services: Coronavirus
- Texas School Safety Center Coronavirus Resources
- US Department of Education: Coronavirus
For questions or additional information, please contact David Truitt, Superintendent, at (254) 981-2000.