West ISD COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Plan
All West ISD Health Alert information, news, and reminders relating to COVID-19 Risk Mitigation Planning are posted on this website. The District will also publish all updates to the West ISD Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages.
West ISD COVID-19 Plan News and Updates
On Monday, August 1, 2022, the Texas Education Agency (TEA) published the latest "Public Health Guidance" information. This document included the following:
Executive Order GA-38 (GA-38), which has the effect of state law under Section 418.012 of the Texas Government Code, requires Texas public school systems to operate during the COVID-19 pandemic in compliance with the published guidance of the Texas Education Agency (TEA). This document constitutes TEA’s guidance under GA-38 and takes effect immediately, replacing all prior guidance.
Public school systems are to operate in compliance with existing state laws and regulations, including all executive orders issued by the governor of Texas in response to the COVID-19 pandemic that are currently in effect.
The TEA document is linked here: TEA Public Health Guidance, August 1, 2022
- Per GA-38, school systems cannot require students or staff to wear a mask. GA-38 addresses government-mandated face coverings in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- As provided in this Department of State Health Services (DSHS) Rule, school systems must exclude students from attending school in person who have or are suspected of having COVID-19, and must immediately notify parents if this is determined while on campus. As noted in the rule, exclusion shall continue until the conditions for re-entry are met:
- For children with symptoms, at least 5 days have passed since symptom onset, and fever free, and other symptoms have improved.
- Children who test positive for COVID-19 but do not have any symptoms must stay home until at least 5 days after the day they were tested.
- Parents must ensure they do not send a child to school on campus if the child has COVID-19 symptoms or is test-confirmed with COVID-19, until the conditions for re-entry are met.
West ISD COVID-19 Dashboard
This data table is updated and published to alert all West ISD students, parents/guardians, staff, and community members of the most up-to-date numbers and percentages of active, positive, lab-confirmed COVID-19 student cases on each campus. The color codes coincide with the West ISD COVID-19 Matrix information.
West ISD COVID-19 Notifications: August-December 2022
COVID-19 Information Links
- Texas Education Agency Coronavirus Support
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: Coronavirus
- Texas Department of State Health Services: Coronavirus
- Texas School Safety Center Coronavirus Resources
- US Department of Education: Coronavirus
- Waco-McLennan County COVID-19 Statistics
For questions or additional information, please contact David Truitt, Superintendent, at (254) 981-2000.