West ISD SHAC
The School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) is a group of individuals representing segments of the West community, appointed by the school district and Board of Trustees, to provide advice to the district on coordinated school health programming and its impact on student health and learning.
The SHAC provides an efficient, effective structure for creating and implementing age-appropriate, sequential health education programs and early intervention and prevention strategies that can easily be supported by local families and community stakeholders.
How does the SHAC help West ISD students?
The SHAC is instrumental in improving student health and creating healthy schools by:
- Helping all West ISD schools meet community involvement mandates and community expectations,
- Providing a way for community members to work together with school personnel to accomplish district goals,
- Utilizing community resources and assets,
- Influencing people within a community to be a credible, collective voice for healthy children and youth,
- Providing a forum for sharing youth health information, resources, perspectives and a range of advice,
- Fostering member’s personal satisfaction and understanding of their role in strengthening their community by supporting coordinated school health; and
- Fostering cooperation by building trust and consensus among grassroots organizations, community segments, and diverse citizens.
What are the responsibilities of the SHAC?
The SHAC must address the responsibilities outlined in Title 2, Chapter 28, Section 28.004 of the Texas Education Code. However, the West ISD SHAC strives to address all eight components of a coordinated school health program as listed here:
- health instruction,
- healthy school environment,
- health services,
- physical education,
- school counseling,
- food service,
- school site health promotion for faculty and staff; and
- involvement with parents and the community.
When does the SHAC Meet?
The West ISD SHAC meetings are traditionally held at the West ISD Administration Building. These meetings are open to the public. Below, you will find the dates of the 2018-2019 West ISD SHAC meetings.
- The SHAC Annual Report and Public Hearing was held on Wednesday, June 6, 2018, during the Regular Board of Trustees Meeting.
- Tuesday, October 8, 2018, at 7:15 AM at West Middle/High School, Room 321
- Monday, December 3, 2018, at 2:00 PM at West Middle/High School, Conference Room (Student Drug Testing Subcommittee)
- Thursday, January 17, 2019, at 7:30 AM at West Middle/High School, Room 321
- Thursday, February 21, 2019, at 7:30 AM at West Middle/High School, Room 321
- Thursday, March 21, 2019, at 7:30 AM at West Middle/High School, Room 321
Who serves on the SHAC?
- David Truitt, Coordinator
- Rose Kolar, Chair
- Molly Sughrue, Vice-Chair
- Becky Holloman, Secretary
- Michele Scott, Principal Representative
- Loretta Cvikel, Nursing Staff Representative
- Alison Janek, Counseling Representative
- Cathy Gerik, Child Nutrition Representative
- Terri Tobola, Staff Wellness Representative
- Dr. Richard Phillips, Emergency Operations Representative
- Dr. John Crowder, Board of Trustees Representative
- Amanda Adams, Teaching and Learning Representative
- John Knutson, Teaching Staff Representative WES
- Chandler Hejl, Teaching Staff Representative WHS
- Krista Primrose, Parent Representative
- Vanessa Davis, Parent Representative
- Dena Mayo, Parent Representative
- Tonya Kolar, Parent Representative
- Officer Mike Keathley, Law Enforcement Representative
- Hailey Routson, Student Representative, Grade 10
- Cole Bryant, Student Representative, Grade 7