Weather / Environmental Guidelines
Please provide the school with written notice if you would like your child to not go outside on days during forecaster ozone days other than listed above.
If your child has asthma or a respiratory problem, please have your child use caution when going outside for recess or PE. If your child uses an inhaler, please remind them of the importance of using it before exercise. The same is true for very cold weather.
If permitted by your child's school, encourage him or her to bring a water bottle to take outside for recess and PE during the hottest days to stay well hydrated. A dehydrated child may complain of a headache or stomach cramping.
The following tips are offered for all students.
- Drink fluids before, during, and after outdoor activities.
- If you feel thirsty, drink fluids!
- If you bring lunch, pack a "Gatorade-type" drink. Sugars decrease the absorption of water by the body. Wear loose-fitting, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
Block the Sun
- Wear wide-brimmed hats while in the sun.
- Use a sunscreen with an SPF 15 or greater.
- Stay inside when possible.
- If shortness of breath occurs during vigorous activity, stop the activity and rest in a cooler place.
- Use a buddy system in high-heat activities