West ISD Facts and Accolades
The West Independent School District (ISD) is a public school district based in West, Texas. West is located 26 miles north of Waco, Texas. In addition to West, the district serves the towns of Leroy, Tours, Gerald, and Ross in northern McLennan County. A small portion of Hill County lies within the district as well. The West ISD attendance boundary covers 126.6 square miles.
Currently, West ISD serves approximately 1,300 students over four campuses. These four campuses are: West Elementary School (Prekindergarten through Grade 5), West Middle School (Grades 6-8), West High School (Grades 9-12), and the Brookhaven Youth Ranch. The Grades 6-12 students are served on one comprehensive campus that opened in August, 2016. In August 2022, the new West Elementary School will open just south of the West Middle/High School campus.
Over 200 staff members serve on the West ISD team. The high school mascot is the Trojans and Lady Trojans, and the school colors are red and black. Currently, David Truitt serves as the Superintendent of Schools.
To learn more about the history of West and West ISD, West High School graduate, Margie Mashek Davis, researched and wrote the following resource: West is Best: Local Community History - 1850-2015
District Organizational Chart and Duties List
Recent District Accolades
- 2021 Great! Schools College Success Gold Award for College Preparation, College Enrollment, and College Performance - West High School; Note: The College Success Award – Gold honors schools with a strong track record of postsecondary success, as evidenced by the school winning two or more College Success Awards (with at least one of those wins being in 2020 or 2021).
- 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, and 2021 "Best Communities for Music Education" by The NAMM Foundation
- 2021 Technology Student Association (TSA) State Chapter Excellence, High Point School, and Advisor of the Year
- 2018, 2019, and 2020 Great! Schools College Success Award for College Preparation, College Enrollment, and College Performance - West High School
- 2018 Region 12 Honor Board - West ISD Board of Trustees
- 2017-2018 Project Lead the Way (PLTW) Grades 6-12 District Program
- Texas Education Agency (TEA) Texas High Performance Consortium Associate School District
- University Interscholastic League (UIL) Lone Star Cup Top 25 Finisher - West High School (Finished in 6th Place in 2016-2017)
- 36th Best School District in the State of Texas for Teacher Support by Teacher.org
- 2016-2017 Texas Honor Roll - West Middle School and High School by Edresults.org
- 2016-2017 U.S. News and World Report Silver Medal for High-Performance in Student Achievement - West High School
- Texas Education Agency (TEA) Texas Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (T-STEM) Academy Designation - West Middle School and High School
Texas Education Agency District Snapshot Information
- The following link highlights all district Snapshot State Accountability Data since 1994: Texas Education Agency Snapshot of West ISD from 1994 through Present
For additional information, please contact David Truitt, Superintendent, at (254) 981-2000.