What is the West ISD Proposition?
West ISD Proposition and Adopted Tax Rate Highlights
- For the 2022-2023 school year, West ISD has adopted a Tax Rate of $1.14. The new Tax Rate is a 22¢ (rounded) reduction from the 2021-2022 Tax Rate of $1.37.
- The new Tax Rate is the second lowest Tax Rate in the past 20 years and one of the lowest in McLennan County.
- West ISD taxpayers voting "For" the West ISD Proposition provides additional state funding of $541,087.43 for an increase of $2,500 for all teacher and staff salaries.
- For residents 65 and older with the “senior freeze” exemption, voting “For” the West ISD Proposition would not negatively impact each property tax bill.
What is the West ISD Proposition?
Following the Public Hearing on Monday, August 22, 2022, during the Special Called Board Meeting, the West Independent School District (ISD) Board of Trustees called for a Voter-Approval Tax Rate Election (VATRE) to be held on the Joint General Election Day on Tuesday, November 8, 2022. On the General Election Ballot, the state has titled the VATRE as the "West Independent School District Proposition" under the "Special Election" header.
The West ISD Proposition is required by the state to approve a tax rate increase that generates additional revenue for Texas public schools. Over 600 school districts across Texas have approved a similar proposition, including Connally ISD, Crawford ISD, La Vega ISD, Lorena ISD, and Robinson ISD. China Spring ISD has also called a VATRE for this November.
West ISD Trustees and staff researched the benefits of calling a Special Election Proposition with an additional 3¢ as a way to increase the salaries for all West ISD teachers and staff. The 3¢ would bring an additional $541,087.43 in state funding through the Maintenance & Operations (M&O) portion of the District's Tax Rate to West ISD as part of the current local property tax effort that taxpayers are already contributing to the state. The state stipulates that the District cannot access these 3¢ without taxpayer approval.
How does the West ISD Proposition impact our community?
If the West ISD taxpayers vote "For" the West ISD Proposition, this decrease in the Tax Rate presents a unique opportunity to help West ISD access and secure additional local revenue in order to attract and retain the highest quality teachers and staff possible. The salaries for all West ISD teachers and staff would increase $2,500.00 as well.
Each year, West ISD loses quality and experienced teachers and staff to competing school districts in central Texas that pay higher salaries and offer greater compensation packages. In addition, West ISD risks missing out on possible new hires who would have to take a pay cut to move to West. The West ISD Proposition provides the means for West ISD to both attract and retain quality teachers and staff across all West ISD campuses. Recently, West ISD received for the first-time ever an A letter grade rating from the Texas Education Agency, and this additional funding for salaries would go a long way to ensure we stay at the A status.
When are the Community Forums and Information Meetings about the West ISD Proposition?
West ISD has scheduled several Community Forums and Information Meetings and Presentations for different weeks, days of the week, times, and method of delivery (face-to-face and Zoom). David Truitt, Superintendent, and JoAnna Macik, Director of Business and Finance, will both present and answer questions at the events and meetings listed below. Here is the current schedule:
- Tuesday, October 4, 2022: School Health Advisory Council (SHAC) Meeting, 6:30 PM via Zoom Online Meeting
- Wednesday, October 5, 2022: Kiwanis Club of West Luncheon, 12:00 PM at the West Community Center
- Tuesday, October 11, 2022: District Advisory Team (DAT) Meeting, 6:30 PM via Zoom Online Meeting
- Wednesday, October 12, 2022: West ISD Regular Board Meeting, 6:00 PM at the West ISD Administration Building
- Thursday, October 13, 2022: Brookhaven Youth Ranch Luncheon, 12:00 PM at Brookhaven
- Friday, October 14, 2022: West Elementary School, West Middle School, and West High School Staff Meetings, 8:00 AM beginning at West Elementary School
- Tuesday, October 18, 2022: Staff and Community West ISD Proposition Information Meeting, 7:30 PM at the West ISD Administration Building
- Thursday, October 20, 2022: Staff and Community West ISD Proposition Coffee Talk, 7:00 AM at the West ISD Administration Building
- Friday, October 21, 2022: Child Nutrition West ISD Proposition Information Meetings, 1:00 PM beginning at West Elementary School
- Monday, October 24, 2022: Staff and Community West ISD Proposition Dr. Pepper Hour Information Meeting, 4:00 PM at the West ISD Administration Building
- Monday, November 7, 2022: 2022: Pre-Election Day Staff and Community West ISD Proposition Coffee Talk, 7:00 AM at the West ISD Administration Building
Note: All Zoom Online Meetings will be recorded and saved to the West ISD YouTube Channel.
For additional information, please contact David Truitt, Superintendent, at (254) 981-2000.